Based in Chicago, Illinois
Nov 20th, 2017
Welcome to Victusia, where the members of the elite Battle Chef Brigade are revered for their ability to skillfully take down monsters and transform their kills into delicious cuisine! But getting in isn't easy; chefs from across Victusia must vie for their spot in a high stakes competition. Follow two contestants, Mina and Thrash, as their journeys through the tournament unfold. In order to become a Brigadier you'll need to hunt monsters with combo-based attacks and prepare your freshly-caught ingredients in puzzle-based cooking challenges to serve up winning dishes to the judges – all while the round clock ticks down.
Battle Chef Brigade is the type of game that we quit out jobs to make, even if we didn't know it at the time. The game's genesis was in the communal lunch breaks we'd take while pitching game ideas for Trinket's third title. These meals would often take place around the TV, which without fail was always tuned to a cooking show of some kind. At some point we realized that a game about cooking that did justice to the creative fire of talented chefs was way better than any of the ideas we'd yet had. From there we spent a lot of time prototyping Battle Chef Brigade's cooking. We wanted to create a mechanic that wasn't just rote recipes and steps, but we weren't really sure what that meant. Though it took far longer than we expected, each prototype was invaluable for nailing down which aspects of cooking could be nicely abstracted into clear, fun mechanics and which were too clunky. On the programming side, we've been able to keep building on our years of industry experience. Integrating new characters, foods, and chef challenges will be a straightforward process since we've been preparing for them all along. We invested a good chunk of our time building a robust combat system that integrates into our animation tools. Our biggest remaining tasks are related to our illustrated, hand-animated art style. There are very few shortcuts to creating hand-drawn animations and environments. Our tools help smooth out the process, but each chef and monster still requires a lot of Photoshop time!
- Play as two chefs, brought to life with colorful illustrations and VO, in a charming campaign that’s equal parts old school brawler and combo puzzling, with a light sprinkling of RPG progression on top.
- Welcome Ziggy, the Undead Necromancer Chef, now playable in Local Multiplayer, Break the Dishes, Survival, and Free Play.
- Test your might against fellow Brigadiers with the addition of Local Multiplayer! Play as Mina, Thrash, and even Ziggy in an epic battle where YOU make all the rules. Who will come out on top?
- Extra Modes that test your cooking prowess: Restaurant Rush, Break the Dishes, and Survival Mode leaderboards let you show off your culinary creations.
- Hone your skills at your own pace in Free Play Mode and find the ultimate cooking combination.
- Collect and enjoy the brilliant illustrations of Battle Chef Brigade in the Art Gallery.
Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Battle Chef Brigade. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF Honorable Mention - Excellence In Design" 2018
- "Day of the Devs" San Francisco, Nov 11, 2017
- "PAX Indie Megabooth Selection" PAX East 2016, PAX Prime 2016
- "PAX Prime 2015 PAX 10" Seattle, August 2015
- "Indy PopCon 2015 Reboot Indie Game Awards Winner" Indianapolis, July 2015
- "Bit Bash Official Selection" Chicago 2017
- "Battle Chef Brigade is an odd mix of at least three different genres: a match-three puzzle game, a fighting game, and an RPG all rolled into one. But, much like on the cooking-competition shows it's inspired by, these unexpected ingredients come together wonderfully."
- Tom Marks, PC Gamer
- "In truth, it almost defines its own genre. Whatever else it may be, Battle Chef Brigade is a pure delight, combining inventive gameplay, a distinctive art style, and a relentlessly positive tone – which we could all probably use a bit more of in the gaming space."
- Marshall Honorof, Tom's Guide
- "Battle Chef Brigade delivered exactly what I wanted out of it: an engaging, but light game between visual novel segments with eccentric fantasy chefs. It’s a delightful way to while away subway rides when, at home, mountains of heavy-lift AAA games are piling up."
- Cecilia D'Anastasio, Kotaku
- "Battle Chef Brigade successfully mixes genres to create something wholly engaging. The charming art direction and characters, creative combat, and clever puzzle mechanics help put Battle Chef Brigade squarely in its own genre."
- Zachary Ryan, IGN
- "The package here is robust, filling, and relentlessly charming. Gameplay is expertly streamlined so that you alternate between feeling like a powerful fighter and feeling like the most brilliant gourmand in the world."
- Sam Prell, GamesRadar+
- "The concept could have easily soured, but developer Trinket Studios masterfully blends all those elements into a dish that serves plenty of entertainment and charm."
- Stephanie Chan, VentureBeat
- "All of the game’s systems are very unique but they come together and marinate into one delicious dish of a game. Every mechanic within it is executed masterfully, like Gordon Ramsay chopping garlic, and every interaction and reaction can be explosive, like Emeril shouting BAM!"
- Zach Quest, Sidequesting
- "Overall, Battle Chef Brigade is just as wacky and delightful as its premise sounds, and it brings its two different gameplay styles together into an addicting experience."
- Samantha, Nintendo Chit Chat
- "If you like cooking games but also like fantasy adventure, this is pretty much gold."
- Keezy Young, Pixelkin
- "Battle Chef Brigade stirs up cooking, combat and RPGs wonderfully."
- Joey Davidson, Techno Buffalo
Battle Chef Brigade was successfully crowdfunded in September 2014. kickstarter.com.
Physical Art Book Pre-orders Available
Preorders of the physical art book are available through BackerKit battlechefbrigade.com.
PS4 Dynamic Theme
This theme allows you to change up the look of your background and PlayStation® Dynamic Menu. store.playstation.com.
About Trinket Studios
Trinket Studios is a Chicago-based independent game studio comprised of Tom Eastman, Eric Huang, and Ben Perez. Together they focus on unique worlds with big characters.
More information on Trinket Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Battle Chef Brigade Credits
Cofounder, President, Programmer